Pages

19 July 2009

Finding time to pray

There have been times in our married life when my husband and I have been so busy that we've barely seen each other. When we were both working on rosters that included night shifts, we sometimes didn't even spend the nights together. At such times, every spare moment we got together was precious, and we looked forward eagerly to spending a decent amount of time with each other.

But there have also been times when, despite being home together evening after evening, one or both of us have been so engrossed in our own activities and interests that we've hardly spoken to each other. Conversations haven't gone much beyond 'how was your day?' We've taken each other for granted. When such times have gone on for too long, we've started to feel ourselves drifting apart.

One of the things that has helped to bring us back together (apart from recognising what was going on) has been to set aside a time each week when we're committed to actively spending time together. Nothing short of major family events or crises take precedence over that time.

Drawing analogies between marriage and our relationship with God is nothing novel. (It's even biblical!) And there are some weaknesses in the analogy (e.g. God is never unfaithful or unavailable). But still, I find it helpful to look at my prayer life and compare it with my married life. When I genuinely can't find time to spend alone in prayer, I look forward to the time when it will be possible again. But there are also times when, quite frankly, I don't make the effort to pray despite having plenty of time. Other things become more engrossing. I find myself starting to drift away from God.

It's then that I recognise the value in having a regular prayer time - not necessarily daily, but at a set time - which takes precedence over everything else. It's also helpful to have a committment to praying with others regularly (but more of that later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment