Pages

24 April 2006

Free in Christ?

Jesus said to the Jews who believed in him, "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (John 8:32)

But what does Jesus mean when he speaks about being set free? Those who heard him were puzzled: They answered him, "“We are offspring of Abraham and have never been enslaved to anyone. How is it that you say, 'You will become free'?"

I too, feel puzzled, but my question to Jesus would more likely be "I've been a Christian most of my life, but often I don't feel particularly free. What is this freedom you're offering?"

I know that other Christians struggle with the same question. Perhaps they've found a growing sense of freedom in one area of their life, yet feel a distinct lack of freedom in other areas.

In searching for answers they've been told that what Jesus is offering is freedom from sin (but they still sin daily) or freedom from guilt (but they still feel guilty) or freedom from Satan's attacks (but he still keeps slipping in those darts) or freedom to 'be themselves' (but how can they be themselves when they're tied down with obligations and duties and responsibilities?) or freedom to "say no" (but then they're told that it's unchristian and selfish to say no to others needs.)

The following pages aren't finished articles. They're rough notes, part of an on-going study of what the Bible means when it talks about "freedom". It's my attempt to answer the question for myself, but perhaps it will also help others. I'd welcome any feedback, discussion, or contributions.

This post is one of a series on what it means to be free in Christ:

Free in Christ - introduction

Choosing the right master

God's freedom and ours

Jesus and freedom

Going beyond personal freedom

Freed from the fear of death

Fools for Christ

Reputations

1 comment: