Pages

10 November 2014

Why Rumours of Hope?

(from my 'About' page)

Well, for a start, with a gazillion blogs already registered on the internet, it's getting hard to find a name for a new one. It was either this or "The In of And".

But more seriously, why Rumours of Hope? 'Rumour' is, after all, a word with somewhat negative connotations. In a world that clamours for constantly updated information, rumours are often substituted for news. We hear rumours of war, rumours of economic turmoil, rumours of environmental disaster, rumours of sex scandals, rumours of political sleeze and corruption. We associate the word rumour with hearsay and gossip.

But why not circulate some positive rumours? People listen to rumours. They pass them on, and wait with interest to see if they will prove true or not.

What the world really needs at the moment is some reason to hope. Not head-in-sand hope, but hope that despite all the gloom, there is a future that is worth waiting for and working towards.

So I'd like to spread some alternative rumours such as: God is not dead, the world is not out of control, humanity is not a cosmic mistake, atheism or legalistic religion are not the only options. Rumours such as: God can be trusted, life can be meaningful, love will ultimately triumph over death.

I've moved a number of posts here from two of my other blogs, Trust and Necessity (now closed) and Not the Doctor (which I'm re-organising). I've also provided a link to my old website One Candle. And I plan to post new material regularly. I hope you will enjoy browsing and reading and perhaps interacting through the comments box.

No comments:

Post a Comment